Kitchen Design Technical Tips

How to use end panels

Kitchen furniture is often supplied in a limited range of carcase colours (to reduce manufacturing costs) and the colour is applied by fixing addition "end panels" to the exposed ends of units. Sometimes these are separate panels which are screwed on to the cabinets but in other ranges they are whole panels which replace the side(s) (sometimes called "gables") of cabinets with panels of the correct material.

This picture shows the best way to use end panel in your kitchen layout. These panels are supplied in a finish to match the material used for your door front to give a neat result to your finished kitchen. They also are used to support work surface overhangs and are placed either side of free standing appliances.If you have two appliances next to each other you should (ideally) have a support panel between them.

These panels can easily be missed out when a kitchen is being design and can make a significant difference to the cost because they are often quite expensive. They also make a considerable difference to the look of the final kitchen. Don't forget that they take up space! so make sure that you leave enough room for them if you are fitting a kitchen into a tight space.

The front edge of panels are often brought forward to align with the front of doors and drawers to hide the end of the door and give a more "build-in" look. Base and tall end panels can drop to the floor and can be used to end the run of a plinth, as shown in the picture. They can be cut back so as not to interrupt the run of a plinth if they are placed between units, as in teh case of the tall housing unit below.

Panel usage

Some end panels are provided with small adjustable feet or plastic moulding to lift them of the floor. It is useful to keep them clear of the floor so that they are not damaged if any unsealed ends are in contact with water on the floor.

End panels are provided in a range of sizes so they can be cut to required size.